Saturday, July 27, 2024

Physical Movement and Exercise

 


The Importance of Physical Movement and Exercise

Welcome back to my blog. If this is your first time, you may like to read my previous post HERE. In today’s society, most adults spend around 80% of their day sitting, which has serious health implications. Dr. James Levine, director of the Mayo Clinic, stated in his interview with the LA Times, "We are sitting ourselves to death." 

Research on Physical Exercise

Numerous scientific studies highlight the profound benefits of exercise, I'm fascinated by these two; 

  • Brain Health: Wendy Suzuki, a neuroscientist, emphasized in her TED Talk that physical exercise increases brain function, produces new brain cells, and enhances memory. 
  •  High blood pressure: Dr. Mike Evans, founder of the Health Design Lab at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, highlighted that a 10-12 minute walk can reduce high blood pressure by 12%, and a 21-minute walk can reduce it by 29%. He recommends sparing at least 30 minutes daily for physical exercise to improve overall health. 

Benefits of Physical Exercise

Exercise offers numerous benefits, including: 

  • Heart Health: Exercise reduces blood pressure and protects against heart attacks and stroke.
  • Type 2 Diabetes: Regular exercise helps lower blood sugar levels and improve insulin sensitivity. Weight Control: Exercise helps prevent excess weight gain and aids in weight loss. 
  • Energy Boost: Regular activity improves energy levels, especially for those struggling with fatigue.
  • Immune System: Exercise strengthens the immune system.
  • Mood Improvement: Regular exercise reduces anxiety and depression, and improves overall mood.
  • Better Sleep: Physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and improve sleep quality.
  •  Mental Health: Exercise is as effective as antidepressant medication for some individuals. 

Excuses for not Exercising

It's important to acknowledge the barriers that prevent people from exercising. These reasons may include: 

  • I don't have time to exercise
  • I'm always tired
  • I can't afford it
  • Exercising is boring
  • I'm too fat, old, and embarrassed to exercise and I don't know how to start.

Personal Benefits of Exercise

Incorporating regular physical movement into my daily routine has brought about significant improvements in my life, including: 

  • Improved Mental Health: Regular exercise has helped reduce stress and anxiety, enhancing my overall mental well-being.
  • Weight Loss: Consistent physical activity has been crucial in managing and reducing my weight effectively.
  • High Energy Levels: Regular exercise has boosted my energy levels, helping me feel more vibrant and active throughout the day.
  • Quality Sleep: Physical exercise has improved my sleep quality, enabling me to fall asleep faster and enjoy a deeper, more restful sleep.
  • Finding Solutions: Exercise sessions have often sparked creative ideas and solutions to various challenges, making it a valuable time for mental clarity and problem-solving. 

Overcoming Barriers and Finding Solutions

Exercise should be a part of your lifestyle, not a once-off activity or goal-based endeavor. Here's what worked for me

• Finding the Right Fit: I realized the importance of an exercise routine that worked for me. I tried going to the gym but I was overwhelmed. I also tried push-ups, but couldn't stand the pain. Who else can relate? 

• Discovering Online Resources: I found Lucy Wyndham-Read on YouTube, who offers simple exercises ranging from 4 to 45 minutes. Her programs are suitable for all fitness levels. I do her exercises every morning, 4-5 days a week. 

• Incorporating Movement into Daily Life:

◦ I park far from the entrance when I go shopping to walk more.

◦ I avoid online food shopping and walk through different aisles of the store.

◦ I jog three times a week, weather permitting.

◦ One of my clients leaves her lunch box in her car to ensure she walks during lunch breaks. I’ve started doing this too, though I need to be more consistent. 

The Dosage of Exercise

If exercise is like medication, how much is required? Start where you are,10,20,30 minutes daily is a good start, increase gradually. Find what works for you, make it enjoyable, and commit to it consistently.  Physical movement can significantly improve your health and well-being. Your body and mind will thank you! 

Thank you for reading my blog. I'm looking forward to your engagement. Please share with family and friends,  using the follow and contact form on the right side of the page.

Healthy habits and  healthy lifestyle = quality of life 

Top of Form

Bottom of Form

 

2 comments:

  1. Great article. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ntombi, physical movement is free and has great benefits for our health

      Delete

The Role of Minerals in Our Health

  The Inspiration Behind Thlago Heals Thlago Heals is a wellness company dedicated to promoting health through herbal medicine, believing in...